when reserving on this website

Our history’s charm

Laguna Nivaria
Laguna Nivaria

The house and the families of La Laguna

From the 16th century up until today

Our history dates back to the 16th century, a period in which it is believed that the Ponte family home existed, as when listing the properties of the old estate founded by his grandfather, Pedro de Ponte (great grandson of the founder of Garachico) made note of the main houses that they owned in the Plaza San Miguel de Los Ángeles in La Laguna.

After various transformations (according to the building’s foundation it was once a casino) the future hotel was owned by Juan del Hoyo-Solórzano y Peraza de Ayala, mayor of La Laguna from 1865 to 1868.

When he died, the house was inherited by his niece, the Marquess of Celada by her marriage to the 15th Marquess, Don Ángel Benítez de Lugo y Cólogan (1883-1928), who was mayor of La Laguna and a gentleman of the Bedchamber of King Alfonso XVIII. The family then moved to live in La Laguna from La Orotava, where they had resided since the first conquest of the island.

Their son, the 16th Marquess of Celada, after marrying Doña María de Ascanio y Poggio, then took up residence in this house, which they renovated and extended and lived in with their family. The 17th Marquess de Celada, Don Diego Benítez de Lugo y Ascanio, then converted it into a hotel, which is now owned by his daughters.

Historical shields

Saved from the flames

The house has been completely rebuilt, respecting only the main part of the facade – comprised of three floors, including a mezzanine floor, doors and windows framed with masonry and cornerstones – and in its interior only preserving the stone staircase made up of two sections that begins to the right of the entrance.

In the hotel’s lobby stand two magnificent shields carved from stone that originate from the facade of the Palacio de Los Marqueses de Celada in La Orotava. The palace was destroyed by a fire in which only its stone facade, which supported the shields on each of its corners level with the second floor, was left standing.

When the palace’s facade was demolished, the shields were transported to our hotel by the 16th Marquess of Celada in the middle of the 1940s. On the shields, the coat of arms of each founder builder of the La Orotava palace can be seen. On one, Lugo, Pierres, Señorino (ancient coat of arms of Lugo) and Llanera and on the other, those of Vergara, Alzola and Hoyo-Solórzano.

Laguna Nivaria